What is spring cleaning?
Spring cleaning is when one or more people thoroughly clean a room, area, or any large space to the best of their ability. This process is typically done in the early springtime, hence the term “spring cleaning,” but it can be done whenever it is needed. Spring cleaning differs from regular cleaning and tidying up because it’s when the area gets a full refresh and a deep clean from top to bottom. This process can take place in homes, office buildings, or other workplaces and can be filled with various tasks.
What are some spring-cleaning tasks?
Depending on how large your space is, many different tasks can be involved in the spring-cleaning process. Here are some examples of tasks you can put on your office’s spring-cleaning list:
- Declutter desks by getting rid of supplies that are empty, broken, ones that don’t work, or expired.
- Disinfect file cabinets, light switches, and any drawer handles with disinfectant wipes.
- Dust all surfaces, window blinds, computer screens, and printers.
- Empty and wipe down the trash bins with an all-purpose cleaner.
- Refill your desk with new items and organize them accordingly.
- Shampoo the carpets or get them professionally cleaned to lift up the dirt and stains.
- Vacuum, mop, or sweep your space well depending on your floor type.
- Wipe down all surfaces with disinfectant.
There are also some cleaning tasks that involve your digital space. Cleaning up your files by organizing information and deleting old documents are some examples of ways to keep your computer files clean and organized. Unsubscribing from email chains that are not relevant can also be a way to get rid of digital clutter.
Why is spring cleaning important for the office?
Spring cleaning can be important in many different ways, especially at the office. Spring cleaning and a total refresh of your space can be a good way to get rid of clutter or tackle cleaning tasks that have been put off for a while. Dedicating time to cleaning your space from top to bottom at least once a year can help relieve anxiety and stress. Here are a few more reasons why spring cleaning for your business can be important:
- It can give you a chance to find missing or lost items: Spring cleaning can be a great way to recover old items that you have been missing or needing. Going through all your files and belongings during your office’s spring-cleaning period can help with retrieving lost items.
- Your productivity can increase: Cleaning and organizing your workspace can reduce the amount of time that is spent tidying and organizing on a daily basis. This can grant you more time for work-related tasks which can impact productivity.
- Spring cleaning can impact your mood: A clean workspace and office can positively impact your mood. When things around the office are less messy, more orderly, and clean, there is more of a chance people will be happier. Dedicating a chunk of time for spring cleaning at least once per year can help keep everyone’s mood up while at work.
What are some spring-cleaning products?
Depending on your place of work, the types of cleaning products that you use for spring cleaning may differ. Some of the primary products consist of all-purpose cleaners, disinfectant wipes, disinfectant spray, glass cleaners, dishwashing soap, and toilet cleaners. Some additional examples can include:
- Air fresheners
- Disposable gloves
- Electronic cleaners
- Floor cleaners
- Furniture cleaners
- Paper towels
- Stain removers
It can be important to stock up on cleaning products so that they are available for use at all times. W.B. Mason can help save your business both time and money by offering bulk options at discounted low prices. With our G.O.L.D. Star Delivery service, your order can be delivered as soon as the following business day to make your office’s spring cleaning more successful.
What are the benefits of spring cleaning at work?
Taking part in spring cleaning at least once per year can have many benefits on productivity levels and even your health. When the space you work in is clean, tidy, and organized, it can help you to prioritize work tasks and get your mind off the clutter and disorganization that might be around you. Spring cleaning can also impact your physical health and even your mental health. Here are some examples of ways that spring cleaning can be beneficial to your employees and their work environment:
- Employees can feel safer: Spring cleaning can help reduce the risk of employees getting injured or sick at work. With the office well-cleaned and organized, there can be less of a chance of injuries or accidents.
- There can be less stress and anxiety among employees: Excess clutter and a space that isn’t the cleanest can cause some employees to stress and worry about the condition of their work environment. Carving out time for spring cleaning at least once per year can help ease these feelings that some people might face. Prioritizing a clean and tidy workspace and getting everyone involved can help reduce the stress and anxiety of employees around the office.
- Your team might stay healthier: Along with mental health, your employees’ physical health can improve from spring cleaning as well. With less dust, bacteria, and germs in the air and on surfaces, your employees might not contract as many illnesses from work. Cleaning the office frequently can promote good health practices and can show employees how staying healthy is important to the company.
What are some tips for spring cleaning?
Every workplace or office can tackle spring cleaning a little differently because there is no one right way to do it. There are many different methods to try out and orders to complete tasks in. For example, some might prefer to de-clutter their desks and workspace before deep cleaning surfaces and floors, while others might like to put their belongings to the side, get the deep cleaning done first, and then organize and de-clutter. Here are some additional tips for spring cleaning and organizing:
- Take your time: Making sure that all of your spring-cleaning tasks are done to the best of your ability can be important. Try not to rush through them and do a thorough job.
- Use quality products: The best spring-cleaning products might not be the cheapest, but they will get the job done. Stocking up on good quality products can help make sure your surfaces are clean, which benefits the health and happiness of your employees.
- Get everyone involved: Completing your office’s list for spring cleaning can take a group effort. Involve as many people as possible in order to get it done quickly and efficiently.
- Make an office spring cleaning checklist: Making a list can help you to be more organized, especially when delegating tasks to employees. It can also be used to hold you accountable and ensure that you don’t miss anything.
Spring Cleaning in the Workplace
Spring cleaning in the office can be beneficial to employees’ productivity levels, as well as their health. It can be important to do a deep cleaning of your office space at least once per year in order to keep things organized and well-kept. Depending on your field of work, there can be many different cleaning products that can be used for spring cleaning as well as tips for keeping the process efficient. Happy National Spring-Cleaning week!
Enhancity Facility Solutions. Office Spring Cleaning Tips & Checklist. (https://enhancityworks.com/office-spring-cleaning-tips-checklist/) Accessed March 6, 2023.
Fantastic Cleaners. What is Spring Cleaning? History, Origin and Traditions. (https://blog.fantasticcleaners.com/what-is-spring-cleaning-history-origin-tradition/) Accessed March 3, 2023.
Onsite Safety. How to Spring Clean Your Workplace. (https://www.onsitesafety.com/safety-articles/spring-cleaning-workplace/) Accessed March 6, 2023.
The Cleaning Authority. Why is Spring Cleaning Important? (https://www.thecleaningauthority.com/blog/home-life/why-is-spring-cleaning-important-/) Accessed March 6, 2023.