What are healthy habits to have at work?
Creating a healthy culture in the workplace can take some time and lots of energy, but with an open mindset and positivity, it can happen. Healthy habits at work can benefit employees for many reasons. Establishing a more comfortable workplace for people can result in people feeling more confident in themselves. Here are some healthy habit ideas for the workplace that you can start incorporating:
- Get out of your chair and move: Moving around even if it’s going to the breakroom to refill your water bottle or to make a cup of coffee can get your blood flowing. Lack of movement can contribute to feeling tired and fatigued, which won’t help with productivity. Every hour or so, make it a point to get up and move around for a few minutes.
- Drink water: Trying to drink more water can help to keep your body and mind healthy. Find an amount that is right for you and try to aim for it every day. Since our bodies contain upwards of 60% water, it’s important for us to maintain it. The lack of hydration can lead to headaches, tiredness, and can make it hard for us to concentrate. Make it a competition with co-workers to keep it fun.
- Keep your space organized: Learning to de-clutter and organize your workspace can help you to stay calm, cool, and collected while at work. It can also help with lowering stress levels because with a clean and organized space, you won’t have as much trouble locating things.
- Limit caffeine: It may be difficult to make this a habit but limiting your caffeine consumption can help decrease stress and anxiety throughout the day. Caffeine also contributes to dehydration, so try to incorporate more water to make up for it.
- Avoid eating out at lunchtime: Packing your own lunch can be a great habit to fall into. It saves money and encourages healthier eating which is great for both your wallet and your health. Try having lunch in the breakroom with co-workers.
- Set boundaries: Communicating effectively with your co-workers and higher-ups by establishing boundaries is a great habit to have at work. Try to limit checking your email past office hours, take your well-earned PTO, and communicate when you have too much on your plate.
How to promote healthy habits at work?
Promoting healthy habits at work is a great way to show that you care about yourself and co-workers. By setting an example and establishing these healthy habits for yourself, other people may follow or become curious about your new lifestyle changes. While you cannot force anyone to implement new habits into their daily routines, your actions may entice them anyways. In order to promote good workplace habits, it might help to get creative. Here are some ways in which you can encourage people you work with to change their mindset on a few things:
- Make a challenge out of it and offer an incentive if your budget allows for it. Coming up with or following a challenge that is trending can be a great way to promote incorporating healthy habits at work. Maybe the challenge is to drink a certain amount of water per day, or to pack lunch instead of eating out four out of five days. Whatever the case may be, get excited for the challenge and make a healthy competition out of it so that people will want to participate.
- ncourage the use of fitness trackers while at work. Many people who have fitness trackers use them for exercise, but you can also use them around the office as well. Encourage employees to keep track of their steps and other stats throughout the workday. This can also be turned into a competition and an opportunity employees bond over. For some extra stand time, have employees get up while presenting during meetings. Not only is standing better for your health than sitting, but it demonstrates authority and can increase confidence.
- Try incorporating protein-rich snacks into the breakroom to help employees make better choices. Don’t get rid of all the junk food but try offering healthier options as well to give people choices.
What are some benefits of establishing healthy habits at work?
There are a wide range of benefits that can result from establishing healthy work habits. Making these changes can help to positively impact your life as well as others. It can also change your views on certain aspects of work. Setting healthy boundaries, making changes to your diet, caffeine intake, and improving your communication can all benefit you in the long run.
With the start of the new year, many people set goals for themselves to better their mental and physical health. Even if it’s past the start of the new year, it’s never too late to start. Here are some additional benefits that can come from initiating healthy habits in the workplace:
- You could develop a new appreciation for your co-workers or your manager.
- You can improve your health and wellness.
- You could change parts of your lifestyle and influence others to do the same.
- Your overall productivity can increase by establishing healthier habits at work.
- Attitude and mood can become better, making you feel happier and more fulfilled.
Why are healthy habits important to instill?
Learning to become a better version of ourselves is something to achieve for, especially in many different environments. Implementing healthier habits at work is a great way to strive to become a more positive person and can be an important factor for success and happiness. Habits at work are just as important as the habits you have at home, and habits you have out in public. Why not start the new year off by trying to make the small changes in a place where you spend much of your time? As difficult as it is to stay consistent and hold your ground on certain things, it can be very beneficial in the long run and can change the way you view things.
How to maintain a healthy work culture
Maintaining a healthy work culture is a great responsibility which can be shared by everyone in the office. Helping to make sure that everyone is communicating well, being communicated to in an effective manner, and being productive is the foundation to a healthy and happy work culture. It’s simple things like this that help individuals become more comfortable and confident within their work environment. Making strides to foster an uplifting and positive community at work where it’s okay to make mistakes can help make people excited to come to work and to become their best self both mentally and physically.
Entrepreneur. 10 Steps to Promote Healthy Habits and Encourage Good Mental Health of Employees. (https://www.entrepreneur.com/en-in/business-news/10-steps-to-promote-healthy-habits-and-encourage-good/344533) Accessed December 22, 2022.
Vantage Fit. 14 Healthy Office Habits That Can Make A Difference in Your Life. (https://www.vantagefit.io/blog/healthy-office-habits/) Accessed December 23, 2022.