Elmer’s glue is a great product for arts and crafts and educational activities, but it can cause a sticky situation if it gets spilled onto the carpet. Not to worry though, because if this happens and you are wondering how to get Elmer’s glue out of carpet, there are a few simple steps to follow. Keep reading to discover how you can remove Elmer’s glue from carpet.
How to Clean Elmer’s Glue Out of Carpet: Wet vs. Dry Glue
There are a few simple steps to get Elmer’s glue out of your carpet with home remedies, but the method depends on if the glue is wet or dry. It is important to note that Elmer’s glue is made with water-soluble materials, meaning that it can come out of things such as carpet with little to no hassle. While it is easier to clean Elmer’s glue sooner rather than later, it’s hard to keep an eye on everything around you. Accidents can certainly be missed allowing the glue to dry out on the carpet. Here are the steps you should take depending on the state of the glue:
How to get wet Elmer’s glue out of carpet:
- Getting the glue off the carpet while it is still wet is very important. Try and remove most of the excess with a dry towel to prevent it from soaking into the fibers of the carpet.
- Use white vinegar to wipe the stain and remember to scrub from the outside in so that the stain doesn’t spread and expand. The vinegar will break down the glue and lift it off of the carpet. Leave the vinegar on for about twenty minutes.
- Using warm water and a cloth, moisten the stain and allow the glue to soak it in. This allows the water to dissolve the glue, leaving the carpet clean.
- Dry the carpet with a paper towel or allow it to air dry, and the glue should be gone from the carpet.
How to get dried Elmer’s glue out of carpet:
- Before adding moisture to the stain, scrape the excess glue away with something such as a plastic knife or a butter knife.
- Soften the glue stain with some warm water and gently scrub the glue from the carpet pulling on the carpet fibers.
- To break down the glue further, apply dish soap or white vinegar to the stain and scrub it with warm water. Leave the soap or vinegar on for about twenty minutes.
- Using a clean sponge or cloth, apply warm water to the carpet to loosen more of the dried glue and repeat using dish soap until it all comes out.
- Let the stain dry overnight and repeat the process if there is still dried glue left.
The Varieties of Elmer’s Glue Against the Carpet
There are different kinds of Elmer’s glue, such as glitter glue, wood glue, slime glue, clear glue, and the regular white school glue. Even though they are all made of similar materials, they can sometimes require different methods to remove them. For example, if you are wondering how to get Elmer’s wood glue out of carpet, a better method is to warm up your white vinegar and use it in a spray bottle to remove the glue. After spraying the vinegar onto the carpet, scrubbing it with a microfiber cloth is more effective than a paper towel or a napkin, because of the durability of the glue. If there is anything remaining on the carpet after those two steps, steaming cleaning the area with household detergent will get the rest of the glue out. Wood glue can be tougher to remove since it’s supposed to stick to wood as opposed to school glue that is mainly used for paper, so it can take a little bit longer. Glitter glue is similar to regular glue, except the sparkles. While the glue will most likely come out of the carpet with the methods above, the glitter might still linger.
The Dos and Don’ts of Removing Elmer’s Glue from Carpet
When removing Elmer’s glue from carpet, there are a few things that you should do, and a few things that you shouldn’t do. Here are a couple examples:
- Use warm water opposed to cold. Warm water will help lift the excess glue off the carpet before you get to the glue stuck to the fibers.
- If you have exhausted all options and the glue is still not coming out, contact a professional to help. Expert stain removers are great at coming up with alternative solutions and can most likely get the glue out of your carpet.
- When getting Elmer’s glue out of carpet, do not use any harsh chemicals. This will most likely ruin the carpet, and since Elmer’s glue is made of nontoxic materials, there is no need to use chemicals on the glue stain.
- Don’t rush the process. Sometimes, it can take hours to see if the method was successful. Allow the area to dry completely before trying again.
Will Elmer’s glue stain carpet if it’s left on for too long?
If you find Elmer’s glue on the carpet and it looks like it’s been on there for quite some time, don’t worry! While it may take longer and require more effort, getting out Elmer’s glue that has been there for a while is possible. You might have to repeat the dried glue method a couple of times, making sure you bring moisture back to the dried glue in order to get it out. If you find that the glue is not coming out of the carpet with warm vinegar and water, try nail polish remover. Test the product on a part of the carpet where it wouldn’t be noticeable, and if it doesn’t leave a mark on the carpet use it to get the remainder of the glue out. If you have exhausted all options and cannot get the glue out of the carpet and it has left a stain, it might not be too noticeable. The best way to prevent a stain from occurring is to try and get as much of the glue out of the carpet as quickly as you can after it spills.
The Troubles with Glue
Elmer’s glue is on most school supplies lists because it is versatile, durable, safe if accidentally ingested, and relatively easy to get out of carpet. If you are a teacher or an educator where glue is present with children, make sure you follow these steps of cleaning glue out of carpet the next time an accident happens.
Clean Carpet How to Get Out of Carpet. How To Get Glue Out Of Carpet. (https://howtogetoutofcarpet.com/how-to-get-glue-out-of-carpet) July 25, 2022.
Dirtity. How to Get Elmer’s Glue Out of Carpet. (https://dirtidy.com/how-to-get-elmers-glue-out-of-carpet) July 25, 2022.
Hokanson. How to Remove Wood Glue From Carpet? (https://www.hokansoncarpet.com/how-to-remove-wood-glue-from-carpet) July 25, 2022.
Hunker. How to Remove Dried Elmer’s Glue. (www.hunker.com/13424014/how-to-remove-dried-elmers-glue) July 25, 2022.
Shawnelle Web. How To Get Elmers Glue Out Of Carpet. (madreview.net) July 26, 2022.